Wednesday, March 31, 2004  [!]
Big ol' compilation page, housed at MIT.

3/31/04; 11:50:26 PM | Science | Discuss | # | |

ran across this among my other searches. Not exactly on topic (to the search; is there such a thing as being off topic at 2020 Hindsight? I think not!), but interesting nonetheless.

Women in Aviation's 100 most influential women in the aviation and aerospace industry

In honor of the approaching Centennial of Flight on December 17, 2003, Women in Aviation International has selected a unique celebration. This year instead of inducting the normal number of women or groups into our Pioneer Hall of Fame, we will instead pay tribute to "100 Women Who Made a Difference" in the first 100 years of aviation.

3/31/04; 11:46:04 PM | Science | Discuss (1 response) | # | |

Centered around University of Wisconson, Madison. They're looking for more interviews with women who've worked in any science.

I'm looking for anything having to do with oral history and General Electric (both of my grandparents worked for GE.)

The last section of this article, Role Models Needed, (scroll down to "The Broader View") discusses the first and only woman president of ASME, Nancy Fitzroy, describing her experiences at GE (She knew my grandmother there).

"GE finally realized that I was doing the same work," she said, "and that I should be called an engineer." The title didn't end her barriers. "Once when I was up for a raise, my boss was forced to find out how much money my husband was making," she said. "They wouldn't let me make more than my husband. It was the paternalistic tenor of the time�the 1960s�but it was something like 'little girl, it's just not a good idea to make more than your husband.' "

3/31/04; 10:42:48 PM | Storytelling | Discuss | # | |

A page from the IEEE's history center... this week marks the birthdays of Elihu Thompson (founder of General Electric) and Samuel Morse. The founding of Apple computer (1976) and of RCA - the Radio Corporation of America (1919) and the demo of the microwave in 1931 between Calais, France, and Dover, England.

3/31/04; 10:26:35 PM | GeekTech | Discuss | # | |

Her new memoir, The Spiral Staircase follows her other books, A History of God, the Battle For God, Muhammed, Islam: A Short History, and Through the Narrow Gate (her memoir about leaving a Roman Catholic convent at age 24). The current memoir takes up from the point she left the convent. [via WannaWrite]

Her interview with Powell's ranges over all the religious topics she's covered, and her take on religious beliefs. In this excerpt, she's asked what kinds of questions keep coming up from people attending her book book tour readings and signings.

"Do you believe in God?" I point out that that's a very Christian question, a very Western, modern question. It's not actually the proper question, but nevertheless it's what people want to know. For them, that is the question.

Dave: And what is the question that you prefer to ask instead?

Armstrong: I say that religion isn't about believing things. It's ethical alchemy. It's about behaving in a way that changes you, that gives you intimations of holiness and sacredness.

Lots of good stuff in the interview, go read it all.

3/31/04; 3:27:38 PM | Life | Discuss | # | |

It's geared toward Online help for MacOS using the Apple Help viewer. [via Traumwind] But if the writing tool generates HTML documents, couldn't the same thing be true for Windows online help? I'm getting ready to do a user guide for a (cross-platform) app that some friends have been developing.

Though I love my outdated copy (ver 5.5) of Framemaker, esp for the way it tracks figure numbers and cross-references, and (bliss!) the dead-easy way it creates .pdf files, I'm happy to learn of other documentation options.

3/31/04; 1:05:11 PM | Writing | Discuss | # | |